I’m an artist who also builds and designs websites. I like creating things.
I have my B.A. in English Literature from the University of South Florida, and an M.A. in International Relations at the University of Florida. I’ve spent my career working for nonprofits. If you want the details of what I’ve done and how I got where I am, see below.
In college I decided I wanted to be a human rights worker and make a career out of my passion for social and economic justice. I’ve worked all over Latin America. I speak Spanish fluently and I love Latin cultures. From 2003 to 2004 I spent some time in Colombia doing human rights work.
I finished my degree and got a job offer to work at a national farmworker’s rights group based in Washington, D.C. I worked there for three years. After that I did some consulting helping nonprofits with tech and communications, then I was the Digital Communications Manager for a federal budget watchdog group. Now I design, build and maintain websites for nonprofits. I work with Joomla, WordPress, Drupal and ExpressionEngine and I use Adobe Dreamweaver, Illustrator and inDesign.
I combine a background in art, technology and political science to create moving human-interest stories for progressive causes.
Here in the US, I have:
- worked for a lawyer who represented clients on death row;
- volunteered at homeless shelters in St. Pete, Florida and Gainesville, Florida;
- organized, along with fellow volunteers, a mobile outreach effort to bring food, supplies and social services to homeless people living in camps in the woods;
- taught English as a Second Language to recent immigrants in St. Pete, Florida, and Chicago, IL;
- volunteered in an elementary school garden teaching kids about food and nutrition (2006 school year);
- participated in the 2007 US Social Forum and had my photos of it published in Yes! Magazine’s Fall 2007 edition;
- managed a short-term rental property in downtown DC;
- and am now a resident artist at the Tench Building in downtown Gainesville, Florida.
I’m an unconventional thinker, a big-picture kind of gal. I like thinking about all possibilities. My life goal is simple: I believe in making the world a better, safer place for children and other living things.