Life/workMarch 2, 2013
I’m a writer based in Washington, DC, but originally from a small town in central Florida. I studied English at the University of South Florida and Political Science (International Relations) at the University of Florida.
I have lived and worked all over the Americas including Colombia, Chile, Guatemala and Costa Rica. I speak English and Spanish and love working in multi-lingual, multi-cultural environments. Besides managing a short-term rental unit in DC, I also help non-profit organizations with strategic communications campaigns.
Here is a summary of my life’s work:
BA English Literature, University of South Florida, 1998
MA International Relations, University of Florida, 2006
- Real Estate Property Management. Manage, maintain and support a short-term rental unit in downtown DC. Fall 2010 to present.
- Communications Consultant. Social media & networking for non-profits. Outreach strategies for audience engagement. Summer 2011 to present.
- Communications Coordinator, Farmworker Justice. Planned and implemented a comprehensive communications campaign for the organization’s work on behalf of farmworkers. Wrote op-eds, blog posts, human interest stories and reports to educate Congress, the media, and the public; coordinated print publications (newsletters, brochures, annual report); organized media outreach and public education events; built and maintained content management systems for websites, implemented strategic online advocacy campaigns. November 2007 to October 2010.
- Translator, Watching America (http://www.watchingamerica.com) and World Meets Us (http://www.worldmeets.us). Translator of editorials regarding U.S. foreign or domestic policy. Fall 2006 to Spring 2010.
- Research Internship, Coca-Cola World Citizenship Program, Habitat for Humanity Latin America and Caribbean office. Carried out an impact study of housing communities in four Latin American countries. Interviewed home-owners and community organizers about public/non-profit housing for low income residents. May 22 to August 4, 2006.
- Full time volunteer corps member, Christian Peacemaker Teams. Provided international accompaniment for threatened individuals and communities in conflict zones. January 2003 to June 2004.
- Co-founder and volunteer, H.O.M.E. (Homeless Outreach Mobile Effort) Van, a mobile, free “store” providing socks, personal hygiene products and food to homeless residents in Gainesville, Florida. September 2002 to 2006.
Familiar with U.S. government procedures and agencies; experience organizing and prepping materials for Congressional and press briefings; experience with fostering coalition campaigns among civil society groups, government agencies and private citizens; experience collaborating on fundraising and development campaigns.
Familiar with PC, Mac and Linux operating systems; MS Office Suite, Photoshop; Google Applications; installation, set up and administration of online Content Management Systems (Joomla! Word Press); phpBB (open-source software for online forums) and MediaWiki; fluent in CSS and HTML markups plus rudimentary knowledge of PHP and MySQL databases and the use of social media for nonprofits.
English (native) Spanish (fluent)
References available upon request.